Alternative to Bolt On Data Bundles

A lot of us have smart phones these days that practically run our lives, we have our personal and work emails, social networking, Youtube and instant messaging apps. All this comes at a price of high data usage.

I've been using MTNs bolt on data bundles for a few years now. A bolt on data bundle is when you have a voice contract and you want to add on a set amount of data to use every month. The bundle that I selected from MTN is the 300mb option at R149pm. Recently this fee started to look a bit ridiculous to me, compared to the cost of actual stand alone data contracts out there, for example CellCs R99pm for 2gb.

I started thinking of a way to get that data bundle incorporated in my voice contract, after some research, I came to a dead end. I looked at other cellular providers in South Africa and they are all exactly the same, they all screw you over for bolt on data bundles.

Eventually I started using my Samsung Galaxy Tab as a wireless hotspot and connected my cellphone to that hotspot and used the data from my CellC 2gb contract (R99). This worked out brilliantly, and as a result my cellphone bill dropped to almost half.

But there came times when I couldn't carry my Tab around and had to revert to the MTN 3g network for data. Then I came across this wireless hotspot device by Huawei. It's quite compact, about the size of a credit card and about a centimetre thick, it can easily fit in your pocket. With this device I am able to connect up to five wireless devices at the same time. I now have a wireless hotspot wherever I go and don't have to worry about using data via my voice contract. So instead of getting 300mb for R149, I am now getting 2gb for R99.

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post