Affordable Mobile Data

Some time ago I blogged about getting affordable data through FNB Connect. Where you can load APN settings on your phone for FNB Connect and purchase prepaid data. At first this seemed to be far cheaper than what the networks were offering in terms of bolt on data. Over time the networks revised their data costs and dropped the bolt on data to a fraction less than what FNB Connect was offering. So I moved back to MTN, which is my service provider.

Then the networks started offering cheaper stand alone data contracts, such as Cell C's 2gb for R99p/m. I then got myself a mifi and went that route. But the biggest issue was that the mifi battery doesn't last very long and was forced to switch back to my network.

This became frustrating because we know that mobile data is way cheaper than the bolt on data that the networks are shoving down our throats. I then searched for APNs similar to FNB Connect and came across Afrihost.

Basically what they do is offer data packages via standalone sim cards or as an APN through MTN. So I was in luck, because I am on MTN. I browsed through the packages they offer and came across a package called Mobile 500 for R58p/m, which comes with 500mb data and an additional 500mb anytime data for free! 

So I followed the prompts and pulled out my credit card and loaded the details into the site. 2 minutes later I got an email stating that my APN has been successfully linked to my sim. I then loaded the APN settings onto my phone and gave it a shot. I was dumbfounded! In under 10 minutes Afrihost had me up and running and I was able to use all functions as normal. I immediately cancelled my bolt on bundle that I had with Autopage for MTN, which was R79 for 300mb.

The beauty about all this is that if I reach my limit my data service will stop until I top it up again with one of their various options such as R99p/gb or wait till the next billing cycle. Usage notifications are sent to you periodically or you can just check online.

The whole process was simple, fast and efficient. Their website is informative and tells you as it is, with no hidden traps. All I can say is, "Well done Afrihost!"

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post